Suppose you plan to build your own website
but you’re totally lost and don’t know where to exactly start. Fortunately, there’s good news for you. There are free website-building tools that enable even ordinary Internet users like you, to create high-quality, tasteful and even professional-looking websites.
Before jumping in to the gist of topic, let us first briefly delve into the basic factors of a good, high-quality and successful website:
1. Appearance – A website must be visually appealing and stunning. Good and proper use of color and graphics, as well as quality photos is essential.
2. Content – Content should be concise but compelling, not long, boring or overbearing to the casual user. A good website’s content should be updated regularly; else, people won’t be coming back to your website if it shows the same old stuff all over again
3. Functionality – Check your website for typos, misspelled words, wrong grammar, as well as other things like hyperlinks, bullets, check boxes, site search, etc. Make sure they function properly. In short, check if your website is looking good and working well.
4. Usability – This is the most crucial but otherwise ignored aspect of building a good website. How could your website flourish if your user is confused about how to get around on it? Most successful websites are easily navigated, read, and understood even by visitors who stumble onto them for the first time.
5. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – If you want your website to be highly visible on search engines like Google and Yahoo!, you should have at least some knowledge of how SEO works for your site. Using important and relevant keywords is just one of the effective means to get your website rank high on search engines, resulting in more visitors.
Let us take a look at three top website-building tools and see how they can meet your needs in creating a good website:
It’s surprising to see that many websites which have been built on Wix are done by non-professional web designers. That’s why Wix is the prime choice for the majority of Internet users who want to get their own websites designed in a polished, professional way. Registering for an account on Wix is free.
You don’t need to have experience in HTML or CSS or any of those esoteric things. Wix has over 280 different templates to choose from, each arranged by specific category, as well as customization tools. Once you’ve picked your favorite template, click “Edit” – Wix leads you to the editing page where you can modify/update the content, change the website’s design, colors and fonts, add images and other multimedia formats. It also allows you to boost your SEO ranking by writing the proper website title, description and most importantly, the right keywords. You may publish your website outright, or you may also want to preview it first before finally publishing your website online.
You can even edit your website’s mobile view format so that visitors will still be able to check it while they’re on the go. If you’re making a professional website in particular, Wix will bolster your presence online with a variety of cool and popular apps – also for free.
Aside from a variety of templates, Wix also has a blank template where you can design your website from scratch.
With over 60 million active users worldwide, WordPress’ popularity is indisputable. This is partly due to its relatively user-friendly platform. Once a basic blogging application, WordPress has evolved into a full-fledged website tool.
Another free website-building tool, an email address is all you need to create an account. It first allows you to create your own username and customize your WordPress URL and blog title before proceeding to the creation of your page.
WordPress has a lot of free themes to offer (although there are also premium themes for a fee) – you can easily replace your current theme with a new one. The customization tool lets you modify the background color, header, header image (if there’s any), etc. On posting your content, it may be in the form of text, graphics, video, a quote or URL link, depending on your preference.
On the WordPress editing page, you are allowed to enter keywords. Always remember to enter any relevant keywords that have anything to do with your entry. You can publish your entry live right away, or preview it first if you want, or save it as draft for now. If you make a mistake the first time around, no problem; you can edit your content later.
Another web-hosting and website-building tool, Weebly’s simplistic widget-based builder site makes it user-friendly even to those who attempt to create a website there for the first time. Like WordPress and Wix, Weebly also offers several different themes and templates, which you can change according to your preference.
Weebly lets users create their own domain. The most readily available type of domain is a subdomain of the Weebly website (for example, “yoursite.weebly.com”). Users can also purchase a domain from Weebly or redirect it from other sites.
The drag-and-drop component is Weebly’s most outstanding feature. For instance, if you had to upload an image, choose the site’s “Image” element and drag it towards your template’s specific location, where you will then upload your photo.
All of the websites mentioned support e-commerce capabilities, which is a good thing especially if you build your website specifically for business purposes.
Nowadays, you will no longer have a problem building, designing and moderating a free website, thanks to these three website-building tools that are very user-friendly.