Topical hemp products have been used for centuries, but do you know where is it used for and how it may benefit you? Hemp may live in the same family as marijuana or cannabis, but these creams and balms will not and cannot make you high. These are natural and powerful skin and health care items that can relieve anything from muscle pain, soreness, and irritation. Through this article, learn more about hemp creams and balms, and how you can benefit from it. Hemp products have less than 0.3% tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), making it safe to use for people of all ages.
What are Hemp Creams and Balms?
There are many topical products made of hemp, but the most common are creams, lotions, balms, and salves. Hemp comes with cannabidiol (CBD), which is an essential ingredient to topical hemp products to relieve pain, aches, and skin conditions. A study conducted on rats discovered that hemp creams could help manage pain and inflammation associated with arthritis. CBD products are even helpful for treating acne, eczema, and psoriasis.
Hemp lotions and creams are products that make use of a small amount of water along with moisturizing agents. It offers a moisturizing effect on the skin. Some creams are used for pain relief.
Balms and salves, on the other hand, use fatty oils along with wax as a base without using water. Obviously, there will be a distinction in consistency. Salves and balms are generally used for pain relief due to tension, inflammation, discomfort, and muscle soreness. Hemp CBD creams have different amounts of CBD oil that have been extracted from the hemp plant. A product becomes much more concentrated if the plant itself is used without proper processing. So, when buying a pain relief cream, make sure that it contains actual CBD oil.
Learn more about these different types of topical hemp products below.
Benefits of Topical Hemp Creams and Balms
To understand the benefits of these hemp products, you have to know how it functions. When hemp or CBD product is applied directly to the skin, it will not reach the circulatory system, but it can be retained through the skin’s surface to reach the nearby cannabinoid receptors. In case you don’t know, the skin is an active organ that cats as a suitable atomic vessel to absorb lipid-based oils. These cannabinoid-conveying lipids in the oil contained in the products are transported over the skin’s cell layers. Soon after, the CBD starts its remedial mechanism and encompasses the cell with its surrounding tissue layers.
This is the reason why if you have skin conditions or pain, you can apply the salve directly to the affected region and start the recovery process immediately. CBD topical products are good for reaching a problematic area faster than consuming an edible oil.
Hemp oil may be helpful when ingested for different conditions, but topical hemp products work better for different sorts of skin conditions, chronic pain, and other localized conditions. The process becomes speedier because it doesn’t need to travel the body’s digestive system first.
Now that you know that the skin can easily absorb hemp products, here are some of the significant benefits of topical hemp products:
Tons of research was done to prove the advantages of hemp in humans. When applied topically, hemp creams and balms can ease any type of pain – whether it’s chronic, exercise-related, or from an acute injury. It has been shown to relieve everyday pains and aches, including:
- Arthritis – Hemp creams, salves, and oils are believed to decrease inflammation in the arthritic joint by reducing the formation of cytokines in the body. Cytokines are the proteins that signal the cells if there is inflammation. Because of this, hemp products can provide relief from joint swelling, stiffness, and pain.
- Chronic pain – Rather than turning to prescription meds, use hemp products to reduce inflammation going forward. Apply a cream or salve locally on the painful area. It can also be used for neuropathy or pain associated with nerve damage.
- Lupus – People with autoimmune disorders like lupus can find pain and inflammation relief with hemp products. Hemp interacts with nerve and other receptors in the body.
- Fibromyalgia – This is a complex disorder that is often misunderstood. It affects the nervous system, causing fatigue, pain, and strong headaches. Hemp creams can be used to treat muscle and joint pain while improving sleep quality and decreasing fatigue.
- Multiple Sclerosis – Hemp creams and oils can help regulate the activity of different receptors, which allows pain relief. It can also lessen the incidence of muscle spasms associated with multiple sclerosis by allowing muscle relaxation and mobility improvement.
- Menstrual pain – Good news for PMS-ing women, you don’t need to take painkillers every time you’re experiencing cramps, aches, and back pain. Hemp creams can help relieve this pain quickly without causing side effects associated with pain relievers.
There has been broad research done on the healing impacts of CBD creams and salves on skin diseases like dermatitis and psoriasis. Hemp has also been known to be helpful for inconveniences like wounds, burns, rashes, skin infections, and general muscle soreness.
Tips for Choosing the right Hemp Cream or Balm
When you’re shopping for a topical hemp product, here are some of the crucial factors to consider:
This is the number one factor to look out for. CBD doesn’t pass through the skin very easily, so it’s important to use a potent product for you to make the most out of its benefits. Potent products contain at last 200 mg of CBD per container.
It’s always best to opt for a product made of all-natural, organic ingredients to limit your exposure to harmful chemicals and pesticides.
3. Extraction process
When you’re looking at hemp creams and balms, you may have seen the terms isolate, broad-spectrum or full-spectrum. Isolates don’t contain THC, and the extraction method strips away the cannabinoid content, reducing the overall therapeutic properties of the plant. Broad-spectrum products contain most cannabinoids found in the cannabis plant, but it doesn’t contain THC. The full-spectrum product preserves all cannabinoids and terpenes on the final product.
4. Quality control
Do you know where the hemp in the product was from? Reliable brands often have this info readily available. For some, they even include a certificate of analysis that will allow you to view testing results easily. It’s best to look for products made from US-grown, certified organic hemp since cannabis is subject to regulations when grown in the USA. Also, check if the product you buy is lab-tested and pesticide-free. Be careful of products that don’t offer this information, either on their website or by emailing the company.
Most topical products made from hemp fall in the $30 to $60 range. For products priced for more than $100, decide if it’s worth spending the extra cash. Check how potent it is and determine if it contains a full-spectrum CBD. Also, check if it contains other healing herbs or oils.
Different Types of Hemp Creams and Balms
Here are the different CBD topical products available on the market:
- Hemp creams – Creams are lighter, making them easier to work on the skin for quick relief of flare-ups. It’s an affordable option, perfect for those who are looking to try their first hemp product. It’s a topical treatment that can be applied to the face. It can also be used to tackle blemishes and acne.
- Hemp gel – This is great to apply for pain relief. It’s more concentrated than a hemp cream as the creams may also contain moisturizers and other ingredients that bring out additional benefits. Gels are designed to treat skin inflammation, as well as burns.
- Hemp balm – A hemp balm works just like the concentrated moisture and nature of a lip balm. But instead of targeting just the lips, the CBD balm can target other areas of the body that experiences pain as well.
- Hemp lotion – CBD-infused lotions work well for targeting dry areas, and it can also work for extreme exfoliation. Put it on right after a shower, and be prepared for a softer skin powered with antioxidants.
- Hemp salves – It’s one of the most popular topical treatments containing hemp or CBD. It’s a bit thicker than a cream, and it can contain a higher concentration of hemp oil. The thick consistency makes it ideal for long-term pain relief. It’s also great to use for massages. Plus, it also adds extra moisturization for the skin.
- Oral – Taking CBD through the mouth in the forms of CBD edibles or oil tinctures
- Topically– Taking CBD by applying on the area affected.
Best Hemp Topical Products
Here are some of the best CBD topical products you can buy online:
HEMPACTIV Hemp Pain Relief Cream is a hemp-based pain cream made of a combination of high-quality infused pure active hemp extract, arnica, MSM, and menthol. The hemp is organic and full-spectrum, and this product can take natural pain relief to the next level. HEMPACTIV Hemp Pain Relief Cream allows you to experience localized pain relief naturally. It has a naturally-extracted menthol scent derived from fresh peppermint leaves.
Soothe sore muscles and joints with Populum Cold Therapy Hemp Rub. This rub will let you experience arctic cold pain relief, thanks to non-concentrated hemp oil formulated with helpful ingredients such as aloe vera, chamomile, and arnica. It can provide fast-acting pain relief for joint and muscle pains associated with arthritis, back pain, sciatica, sore muscles, plantar fasciitis, fibromyalgia, carpal tunnel, and other chronic pain. It can be easily applied while leaving no greasy residue, and it’s perfect for massage applications on larger muscle and joint areas.
HempCaine Hemp Pain Relief Cream is a revolutionary hemp-based product that works effectively for different kinds of pains, including sore muscles, arthritis, sprains, strains, back pain, knee pain, fibromyalgia, rheumatism, swelling, inflammation, and even provides quick relief for diabetic foot pain. This cream is reinforced with 4% LIDOCAINE (Lipoderm TM) to ensure the healing effect of hemp would go down to the deep dermal layers. This extra strength pain relief hemp cream is sold at 2.5oz in a pharmaceutical airless pump with a childproof cap for freshness and convenience of use.
Looking for a potent healing salve? Medical Miracles Hemp Maximum Strength Healing Salve might be just what you need. The hemp in this salve is sourced from Colorado-grown hemp blended with almond oil, beeswax, coconut oil, lavender essential oil, shea butter, and vanilla. It comes with a combined healing effect that can melt your pain away. This unique blend offers a reliable consistency, superior potency, and high absorption rates to bring you faster results. This strong formulation is an effective alternative to high-dose prescription and OTC meds.
Get substantial pain relief with this Hawaiian Hemp’s Hemp Cream Pain Relief Lotion. It offers high-quality pain relief with hemp oil and hemp extract, aloe vera, and turmeric. IT works great for eliminating muscle soreness and joint stiffness. It helps to reduce back, muscle, knee, bones, elbow, and arthritis pain. It has a creamy texture and a light scent.
ZenRenu Organic Hemp Pain Relief Cream is a quick-absorbing organic cream. It’s designed for pain relief and targeted support for the back, neck, hip, knee, neck, elbows, shoulders, joints, and muscles. It also helps improve various skin conditions. This formula contains no parabens, chemicals, glycols, and other unhealthy additives. It combines organically-grown hemp with helichrysum and copaiba for pain relief, and turmeric, aloe, MSM and arnica to provide anti-inflammatory benefits.
Experience long-lasting pain relief with Ramina Natural Hemp Extract Pain Relief Cream. This product is one of the best picks if you’re looking for quick and effective pain relief with hemp. It contains 15,000 mg of hemp extract to ensure enough comfort and relief for pain throughout the day. Its formula is fast-absorbing, long-lasting, and non-greasy. It’s designed to relieve pain associated with arthritis, back pain, knee pain, muscle pain and soreness, fibromyalgia, and carpal tunnel. Made in the USA, this product is created in a GMP-certified facility.