Whether you work from home or in the office, your work environment should ensure efficient operational and task performance. If it is cluttered or lacks functionality, it may waste any effort. Learn how to create an ideal place to work that you will love.
What is your dream work location like? Each person will respond differently: intimacy, hospitality, flexibility, personality, etc. Nevertheless, all the answers will undoubtedly include a common demand – comfort.
How can you reorganize your work environment to bring maximum comfort and improve productivity?
What Every Office Needs?
Ergonomics is one of the most important features of any workplace. Large businesses invest millions of dollars in the comfort of their employees to reduce workplace injuries, persistent pain and negative health effects.
18 Must-Have Components for an Ideal Working Place
A well-organized work environment can not only save your health but also enhance overall productivity. Here are the most important things to consider when designing a workplace:
- Blue blocker glasses;
- Cable clips;
- Desk lamp;
- Ergonomic chair;
- Ergonomic desks/custom standing desks;
- Ergonomic mouse with a mouse pad, equipped with a gel rest pad;
- Family pictures/motivating pictures;
- Monitor/laptop riser;
- Memory foam seat cushion;
- Multi-angle phone stand;
- Natural light;
- Noise-cancelling headphones;
- Organizer set for stationery;
- Printer/dual copier-printer;
- Strong Wi-Fi connection;
- Wireless or USB ergonomic keyboard (if you use a laptop at work);
- Wrist rests.
How Do You Create a Perfect Workspace?
- Consideration of work needs. Before you start reorganizing your workplace, you need to consider the main aspects of your activity. Think of the materials and storage space required to do your job effectively.
- If you have a little more money, you can invest in tools and equipment, enhancing the capabilities of your computer, your desktop, etc. Nevertheless, if you are on a tight budget, you should purchase the most needed, but ergonomic furniture to ensure the comfort of your body, for example, custom standing desks and height-adjustable chairs.
- Strategic location. Natural lighting has a positive influence on the health of people. Thus, while choosing a location to put your desk, prioritize the one near the window.
- Designation of personal environment. Determine the factors that interfere with your effective work. Try to find helpful solutions to eliminate their influence (e.g., background noise – use noise-cancelling earphones and microphones, etc.).
- Keep everything organized. Use different organizers and file folders to group stationery and documents.
- Get a timer. Sitting all day at the office is not good for any employee. Place a timer to switch between the sitting and standing positions during regular periods.
- Take advantage of colour. Choosing the right colour and lighting layout for your office is one of the simplest ways your environment can improve your performance. For example, the use of blue and green colours improves performance on tasks that require the generation of new ideas; red colour – improves focus on details.
- You can brighten up your workplace by adding motivational posters, photos of your family, etc.
Creating a perfect workplace is more than just moving your desk from one place to another. It may take time and money, but the results will help you get the most out of your new workplace.
Hayley Mann is a technology enthusiast specializing in automation methods of ergonomics devices. Her engineering background helps her to create interesting articles on technical topics, making them understandable for all readers.