As we live in an era of technology, we are supposed to adjust to it in every sphere. Its products are used in various industries to improve various processes and make them simpler, faster, and more productive. Of course, the educational sector is no exception and it uses multiple types of learning experiences that involve technology in many of its forms.
Today, we should speak about technology-driven learning experiences. There are many incredible benefits that can be reaped by learners and their educators. We think it’s always important and all participants need to realize the main pros. It’s a pretty vast issue that should be reviewed from various angles and in detail. This blog post provides them. Read on to find essential insights.
What Are the Main Types?
If we discuss technology based learning, we need to understand its types. There are 8 major types with their own peculiarities and dividends. Let’s briefly check the main types of learning experiences here below.
- Formal learning: This type is structured and takes place in a formal setting. It can be a classroom or training workshop. There is commonly a defined curriculum, which is frequently assessed thanks to various tests or exams.
- Informal learning: This type is rather spontaneous and frequently takes place outside of a formal setting. These are various life experiences, social interactions, or something of the kind. It sometimes isn’t structured or assessed.
- Experiential learning: This one is based on hands-on experiences. It lets students reflect on their experiences and learn from them. The common activities are as follows: internships, apprenticeships, and project-based learning.
- Collaborative learning: Thanks to this type, students work with their peers to achieve a common goal. They learn how to work in a team and value the thoughts of others. The common activities are as follows: group projects, peer-to-peer learning, etc.
- Blended learning: This type offers an enhanced learning environment. Students study online, as well as via in-person collaboration. This mix helps to combine traditional methods with modern ones to reap the maximum benefits from both approaches.
- Self-directed learning: This one is focused on learners. They are free to set their own learning goals and pace. The type promotes self-education and finding a perfect personified learning style.
- Distance learning: This type promotes self-education and going at one’s pace because everything is complete remotely. Students have their tasks, but they are free to decide how to do them.
- Game-based learning: This type commonly combines learning design and technology. Learners undergo various simulations that develop various skills via gaming. Many games can be played in video formats, which makes any lesson more vivid and attractive to learners.
We need to mention technology enhanced learning. It is also known as e-learning or online learning. As a result, students and teachers use various technologies to make the process effective and possible. They need to use computers, mobile devices, the Internet, and other digital tools. They let enhance teaching and learning processes, deliver educational content, and facilitate communication, as well as boost collaboration between peers, teachers, and students, and even between parents.
The enhanced learning environment that uses technology can take many forms. They ensure flexibility, adaptability, creativity, engagement, and effectiveness. What are those forms? They can be:
- Online programs and courses
- Digital textbooks
- Educational apps
- Simulations in virtual reality and more.
As you can see, they are able to ensure personalized and flexible learning experiences. Students can learn at their own pace and schedule their learning according to their needs and talents because they can access useful content at any suitable time.
Thanks to learning design and technology, education is accessible for more students than it was before. It is possible thanks to the Internet and other technological products. Distance learning is perfect for millions of learners from all around the globe who have no access to traditional education, which means visiting classes on campus. As a result, educators receive a vital possibility to reach and teach a larger audience of students. Besides, online education is more engaging and interactive.
It goes beyond all doubt that technology based learning should never replace traditional teaching methods. It is used as some sort of supplement that boosts the effect of the main remedy. If it is used in the right portions and on time, all the participants of the educational process will reap the necessary benefits to meet their goals.
The Main Benefits of Using Technology in Education
It is also necessary to review the main benefits of tech products for learners and educators. This is how technology enhances teaching and learning:
- The possibility to automate a lot of processes to let teachers more time for other aspects of teaching.
- Gathering and analyzing data on students to help them to succeed.
- A boosted motivation in college education.
- Almost instant access to any data you want.
- The possibility to use various kinds of learning tools.
- The possibility to develop any academic skill.
- Improved collaboration and teamwork.
- Boost in creativity.
Drawing the Final Line
Technology provides students with a great variety of vital benefits. If it is implemented and used reasonably, the quality of the educational process will be hugely improved. One can access any data almost instantly, use helpful apps, personify one’s learning style, hire essay writers, and something of the kind. Tech inventions should be always present in modern education to make everything more effective and faster.