Senior citizens require more care than younger individuals. So, its essential to provide the services and programs for their senior care.
The majority of these services are provided to them through assisted living communities or living communities in general. They offer various services like- transportation services, emergency services, personal hygiene assistance, nutritional education, meals, medical care etc.
Introduction to the assisted living community-
Senior citizens who prefer to live in an assisted living community require extra help because of their advanced age or disabilities. Some of the health services they receive there include- blood pressure and sugar management.
Their staff helps residents to take their medication on time. Other services include special care for individuals with learning disabilities.They are available 24*7 to provide a different level of care.
- Low level- Residents who don’t require much care. Meanwhile, they can bath by themselves but require help for maintaining blood sugar levels.
- Middle level- It is for those who require much more assistance. For example, an individual with minor memory loss.
- High level -These individuals suffer from more advanced dementia. Their caregivers are trained to help people with these deficiencies.
When does senior care become necessary?
Senior care also known as elderly care refers to the fulfillment of specific care needs. Many seniors never require special care throughout their golden years. However, poor eyesight, declining health and senility make independent living unsafe. It might be time to consider senior care.
They are a perfect alternative if your family members are unable to provide regular assistance or supervision. Family members may recognize a need for senior care from the following symptoms-
- Physical difficulties- Difficulties in performing the task may arise due to age-related illnesses such as hearing loss and dementia. Due to which they become prone to accidents and various injuries. The following conditions may necessitate regular care-
- Stability problems while standing or walking
- Hearing problems
- A chronic condition like diabetes
- Various permanent or temporary physical limitations.
- Mental difficulties- Age-related cognitive decline is normal and doesn’t cause serious problems. Contrary to it, progressive mental difficulties lead to impaired judgment and increased safety risks. If your loved one is suffering from any of the following with high frequency, its time to consult their doctor.
- Difficulty concentration
- Memory loss
- Difficulty communication
- Emotional difficulties- These are the result of big changes in their life caused by the death of their loved ones, declining health, lack of communication with family etc. Emotional problems are difficult to detect. If the person is experiencing any of the following factors, senior care might help improve their emotional disposition.
- Personality changes
- Lack of interest
Types of senior care-
There are various types of senior care based on the type of care they provide.
- Independent living- These communities are for seniors who are still highly self-efficient. The only support provided involves- housekeeping, laundry, transportation services, cooking and home repairs.
The community provides a senior-friendly environment that promotes social engagement. Moreover, allow you to pursue wellness programs that support overall health.
- Assisted living- This a long-term housing option for seniors who are active but require personalized care for bathing, getting dressed, going to the toilet etc. It focuses on promoting overall wellness through physical activities and social interaction. Residents are inspired to live independently.
- Home care- This option is ideal for those who require personal care but don’t want to leave their home. Home care services include- meal preparation, medication management, housekeeping and transportation services. It may be beneficial for seniors who are lonely, depressed or suffering from any emotional problems.
- Care homes- They are smaller than assisted living communities and provide an individualized level of care. Medical care is not their primary focus but it may be provided to a limited degree.
- Nursing homes- They are for seniors with chronic or severe health conditions. Moreover, require 24*7 medical care and supervision. It offers rehabilitation services after long-term professional care.
- Memory-care- Memory-care facilities offer 24*7 monitoring, supervision and medicalcare. It also provides a safe environment to improve the quality of life. Their key services include-
- Medication management
- Nutritious meals
- Hygiene and personal care
- Mobility assistance
- Memory-enhancing therapies.
Finding the best senior care for your loved ones-
Searching for the best senior care is a challenging task. Your selection should be based-on their specific needs. If you don’t need assistance performing basic personal care or you prefer privacy then senior apartments are perfect for you.
4 Important things to be considered while selecting a senior apartment-
1. What do other people say? – While searching online, don’t depend only on star ratings. Prepare a list of pros and cons and look for the following kinds of feedback.
– Reviews from residents and their families
– Average reviews and negative feedbacks
– Success stories shared by residents
– Feedback about the community’s staff and services.
2. Does it offer different apartment floor plans options- Some assisted living communities offer a standard floor plan. Whereas, others offer different floor plan options.
– Is a one-bedroom sufficient or you need 2 as office space or a guest room.
– How much space is comfortable for you?
– Will you need a full-size kitchen or a laundry area?
3. What amenities and activities are offered? – Standard package includes basic amenities andactivities. It often includes the following-
– Exercise and wellness programs
– Social activities
– Common craft room
– Community garden
– Access to pool/spa and salon.
4. Ask them questions- If you don’t understand apartment policies or resident contracts ask for clarification. If the pricing structure is confusing, take a sample breakdown.
Senior care or elderly care refers to the fulfillment of senior citizens. Remember, not all seniors require elderly care. It is only recommended when you notice physical limitations due to old age or a health condition. They are perfect if your near and dear ones are unable to provide regular supervision.