What are WAVs?
WAVs are wheelchair accessible vehicles that have been adapted to fit people who rely on wheelchairs. Whenever you buy a vehicle, you want to make sure that it is in perfect condition. You do not want to buy a car or van that cannot be driven because of mechanical issues. You also want it to look good and you want it to have no dents or other material issues. If you are buying used, you might have to look a little harder to find one in perfect condition.
There are many places where you can find new and used vehicles in town. Finding used WAV vehicles for sale might be a little more difficult, but they are around. There are dealerships that sell them, and they make sure that they are in good used condition. They will make sure that they pass inspection and that they are drivable and look good, too.
This article will help you to see some of the things that you should look at when you are looking for a used WAV. Some of these things are also for any used cars, but some are specific to WAVs. You could also do more research to get some other ideas for you.
Tips for Buying Used WAVs
- Test Drive – Make sure that you test drive the vehicle that you are looking to buy. A lot of the companies that sell WAVs will bring the vehicle to you without any charge. While you drive the car or van, make sure that you check for any noises, alignment, knocking in the engines, and other things that may stand out to you. You want to be sure that it is in good mechanical condition.
- Crash Testing Certificate – These are certificates that show that the car or van can withstand a head-on collision with little or no injury or movement to the people in the vehicle. The vehicle should have a label that shows that it has been tested for this. You can see the certificate and the label here: https://www.finecut.co.uk/labels-to-help-identify-safe-wheelchairs-in-new-campaign/. This helps to make sure that the vehicle is safe.
- Fuel and Brake Lines – Check to see if these have been modified for you and your use. If they have been modified, can any dealer work on them in the future? This is an important question for you to ask the dealer. These two items are things that need to be functional, and you should be able to repair them if needed.
- Fuel Tank Capacity and Reading – You need to make sure that the gas gauge works correctly, especially if it has been modified. You also need to see what the capacity of the fuel tank is, again, especially if it has been modified. It would be bad to be out and about, and run out of fuel because you thought the tank held more and the gauge was inaccurate.
- Exhaust – You will also need to check the placement of the exhaust – it should be in the back like any other vehicle. Sometimes it will come out on the side and that is not ideal. It can become inconvenient since the exhaust will blow on the pavement and can get in the way if you are trying to get in and out of the car or van. You can also look here to see if the exhaust is safe. It is better to be safe than sorry.
- Sight Lines – You should have a clear sight line for the person in the wheelchair. If they can see out the window, it can cause less motion sickness. This can potentially be modified so that the person in the wheelchair can see, but if not, it might be best to continue looking.
- Try the Ramp – If the ramp does not work, it will be useless to buy the vehicle. The ramp should not weigh too much, and it should be easy to move. Make sure that the ramp is demonstrated and that you use the ramp to make sure it will hold you.
- Check the Ride – Check the ride when you test drive the car or van to make sure the person in the wheelchair is comfortable. Take a drive that is long enough to give the person in the wheelchair time to really experience the ride. Go over bumps and potholes and uneven roads to give them the full experience.
- Flexible Pricing – There should be flexibility in the pricing – the dealer should want to make a deal and be willing to work with you on pricing. See if they have flexibility in the pricing so that they can work with you. They should be willing to offer discounts or different ways to pay for your vehicle. If they are not willing to work with you, you should find another dealer.
- Testimonials – Look at online reviews from real customers to see how the dealership acts to other people. You can check the company’s website or check other sites that have online reviews to see how they do. If you see a lot of negative reviews, find another dealer immediately.
If you are buying a new to your pre-owned WAV, you need to make sure that it is safe for them to drive or ride in. There are things on the list that should help you to make sure that you know what to look for, so you are safe. Some of these items are more for comfort, but some of these items are to make sure that you are safe. You need to also do some more research and check out online reviews to make sure that the company is a reputable business before you work with them.