From the Golden Arches to the Yellow Brick Road…
WARNER BROS. FINALIZES MASSIVE
FALL INITIATIVE FOR THE WIZARD OF OZ™
McDONALD’S® LEADS MULTIPLE PROMOTIONAL PARTNERS CELEBRATING FILM’S 75th ANNIVERSARY
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, Warner Bros. Pictures, and Warner Bros. Consumer Products Join Forces as Family Classic, Remastered in 3D, Gets a September Theatrical Run in IMAX® 3D and an October 1st75th Anniversary Collector’s Edition Blu-ray 3D™
BURBANK, Calif. August 27, 2013 – Marking the 75th anniversary of one of its crown jewels, The Wizard of Oz, Warner Bros. has launched a comprehensive, cross-divisional campaign encompassing theatrical, home entertainment and consumer products.
The studio estimates that some $25 million will be spent on their marketing, advertising, and promotional efforts.
McDonald’s, the world’s leading global foodservice retailer, tops the far-reaching national campaign encompassing a huge number of promotional partners and licensees that will support this historic release.
McDonald’s will feature limited edition The Wizard of Oz toys in Happy Meals in over 14,000 locations throughout the U.S. and Canada from Sept. 20 through Oct. 10 at participating restaurants while supplies last.
The Wizard of Oz Happy Meal® program features one of six adorable stylized figures, including the most popular and beloved characters of the film. As part of their Happy Meal purchase, kids can receive Dorothy, Scarecrow, Wicked Witch of the West, Tin Man, Glinda the Good Witch, or Cowardly Lion. Each figure comes with a Yellow Brick Road™ base to stand on. All of the bases in the line-up can connect together, allowing kids to recreate their own version of The Wizard of Oz friends walking down the Yellow Brick Road. For added fun, kids can fill in the blanks to their favorite TheWizard of Oz movie quotes right on the Happy Meal box.
The three Warner Bros. divisions, IMAX® Corporation and the TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX will host the September 15th world premiere of the film’s first-ever IMAX® 3D release at the grand opening of the new TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX, the largest IMAX auditorium in the world and the first IMAX theatre in Hollywood. When it was known as Grauman’s Chinese Theatre, the facility was the site of film’s original Hollywood premiere in 1939. An exclusive one-week IMAX® engagement at the new theatre and in more than 300 IMAX theatres across North America follows, beginning Sept. 20. Finally, the Toronto International Film Festival will show The Wizard of Oz in IMAX® 3D on September 15 (the closing day of the festival), at the Scotiabank IMAX Theatre in Toronto.
Following the IMAX® theatrical release from Warner Bros. Pictures, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will debut on October 1 a limited and numbered The Wizard of Oz 75th Anniversary Collector’s Edition, which will consist of a five-disc set including Blu-ray™, Blu-ray 3D™, DVD and UltraViolet™ versions of the film; a new documentary, The Making of The Wonderful The Wizard of Oz; bonus features and premium collectibles. New exclusive collectible 75th Anniversary memorabilia includes deluxe award pin set from The Noble CollectionTM, 52-page hardcover photo book, RUBY SLIPPERS TM Sparkle Globe, hardcover journal, frameable map of Oz, and frameable photo card. Three more editions will be available separately: a two-disc 3D/Blu-ray, a single-disc Blu-ray, and a two-disc DVD. All four will contain the new documentary and extra content.
Said Jeff Baker, WBHE’s Executive Vice President and General Manager, Theatrical Catalog, “We are delighted that so many partners have joined us for this unprecedented event. Like us, they recognize that The Wizard of Oz is such a timeless brand, one for all ages and all generations. Its magic has helped it to grow, year after year, from a classic to a treasured icon.”
Below details the programs of some of the other national corporate marketing partners:
- Amtrak will participate by displaying in-station and on-train signage, from November through December 2013, along with an adventure sweepstakes supported by online and social media.
- “Cupcake Wars” – Cupcake baker contestants on this Food Network show will be transforming their personal visions of The Wizard of Oz into gorgeously decorated sweet confections with an Oz-themed competition, to be aired Saturday, September 28 at 8 pm ET/PT.
- Gourmet Trading Company, the leading distributor of fresh asparagus in North America, will promote The Wizard of Oz for six months on 2.5 million bunches of asparagus with call outs about the release on hang tags, as well as guidance for consumers on how to connect via Gourmet’s Facebook page for a chance to win special prizes.
- Langer Juice Company, Inc. will place a premium on-pack commemorative offer on their juices, found in major retailers across the country. Interactive media support will accompany the promotion.
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the Ad Council are partnering with The Wizard of Oz on a variety of TV, outdoor, radio and digital Public Service Announcements (PSAs) featuring iconic elements from the beloved film and focusing on child passenger safety. The PSAs will direct consumers to safercar.gov/therightseat and safercar.gov/protegidos and will run in donated media nationally.
- One Kings Lane, known for providing distinctive, one-of-a-kind items for the home, will be celebrating the anniversary with cinema memorabilia and other important objects of the era on September 20th at OneKingsLane.com.
- QVC® will celebrate The Wizard of Oz anniversary release with special programming and product. “The Wizard of Oz 75th Anniversary Celebration” is scheduled to debut on QVC® September 26, at 9 PM (ET), for commemorative collections of jewelry, toys, collectibles, books, DVD and beauty products that celebrate the classic film.
- Simon Malls® will host themed Simon Kidgits Club® events in 100 Simon® malls across the country during the month of September.
- Finally, The Wizard of Oz will be delighting millions of spectators and viewers across the country, as part of the iconic 87th Annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade®, a world-famous holiday event, with a giant hot-air balloon and balloon heads of The Wizard of Oz characters.
Warner Bros. Consumer Products will also support the milestone anniversary with a robust licensing program consisting of more than 80 top-tier licensees.
Master toy partner Jazwares leads the way, followed by new licensees including Dylan’s Candy Bar, philosophy, PaperStyle, Julep, The Noble Collection, and NECA. Other prominent partners supporting the film include Mattel, Madame Tussauds, Rubie’s Costume Company, Steiff, and many more. Commemorative anniversary products will be available across a wide range of categories including apparel, jewelry, fine art, collectibles, stationery and paper goods, toys and games, and personal care.