Pets in our day have become an integral part of the family life of many homes across the world. People keep them for many reasons, some of which include companionship, security and even for therapeutic purposes.
The most popular of the pets that people keep or have at home is the dog closely followed by cats. In many cases though, both are present in the house.
As with all creatures, these pets are prone to health challenges, certain body conditions or even injuries. When this happens, they would require treatment and medication both of which can be provided by a plant extract that is proving to be hugely popular today – CBD.
What Is CBD?
This is a compound found in the cannabis plant known fully as cannabidiol. There are other compounds in this plant but the other major compound in this plant is Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
The major difference between the two is that while Tetrahydrocannabinol possesses psycho-active properties (that is, can get you high), cannabidiol (CBD) does not do that. It has rather been proven to have potent medical benefits which you can read about here.
Its potency lies in the fact that it is able to interact and stimulate the endocannabinoid system (a network of receptors) present in all mammals including the two of your favorite pets. By doing this, it is able to achieve and maintain homeostasis, which is a state of body balance.
Is It Safe for Your Pets?
First, as already stated above, it has no psycho-active properties and with the available studies done so far (though a bit limited) it has no known serious side effects. We can therefore say that it is safe.
Secondly, all mammals have endocannabinoid system in their bodies and are thus receptive to cannabinol intake. Dogs and Cats are also mammals and thus, fall into this category. This also shows that it is safe for them.
What are It’s Benefits?
Some of the benefits it offers include the fact that it:
- Reduces Anxiety and Stress: The use of this mode of treatment has proven effective in the treatment of anxiety and stress which might be as a result of phobias, experiences or just the normal process of aging. CBD is useful here because, it is not just useful for physical symptoms only, it helps with mental conditions too.
- Helps with Epileptic Seizures: Epileptic fits and seizures in your pets can be caused by internal body disorders. Due to its ability to interact with their endocannabinoid system, this medication is able to maintain body balance thereby reducing these seizures and their effects.
- Gives Relief from Pain: It is also able to give relief from pain because it does function like an analgesic. It is even said to be more effective than most analgesic and this is probably because, it is able to interact with the neuron receptors in the brain and alter the sensations they feel.
- Helps with Cancer Symptoms: It’s been known for a while that cannabidiol is able to discourage the spread and growth of cancerous tumors. It is also able to strengthen the body system of your dogs, cats and indeed all mammals (including humans) against it.
- Gives Relief from Arthritis and Inflammation: There are lots of reasons why arthritis and inflammation may occur in your pets. Some reasons might include age, body weight etc. While it may not be a definite treatment for it, it definitely gives great relief from these conditions. You can find out more about this here: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/06/190623143055.htm.
- Has Antiemetic Properties: This is a condition associated with nausea and vomiting which might be as a result of a treatment being undertaken by them or even therapy. This usually results in excessive tiredness, weakness and loss of weight. Cannabidiol treatment is able to control this condition without any side effects unlike most drugs in the market.
- Improves Homeostasis: Homeostasis is all about body balance and ensuring that the various organs of the body function to the best of their abilities. This might not always be the case because of one health condition or the other. This treatment mode however, is able to help with this situation.
Basic Guideline for Making Purchases
Basically, it is expected that when about to make a purchase of any product for your pets, whether online or at a pet store, that you first inquire about the company that makes the product. This is to know if the company has a good repute or not.
You should be sure to check out the about product page to find out the details (e.g. properties, dosage and general guidelines) of the particular product that you are about to purchase.
The health of your pet is of crucial importance. It can be quite painful seeing your dog or cat suffer from some of these conditions we have listed above. Giving it the proper medication that it needs is the best thing that you can do for it.