Whether you are a master chef, a cooking enthusiast or a newbie in the kitchen, having a set of kitchen knives in your arsenal is as important as a good recipe.
But the question here is, which knives to buy?
A simple answer to that would be; all the essential knives that you can possibly need in a kitchen. And the best way to go about it is to buy a set of kitchen knives.
So, if your kitchen has been lacking a set of knives and you’ve been buying them on the need-to-have basis, it’s about time you get yourself a proper kitchen knife set. Presuming that you are confused about which type of kitchen knife set to buy, we have prepared this detailed buying guide for you.
What to consider before buying a kitchen knife set
The Essential Knives
Before you get all excited and order a set of knives, make sure it includes the blades that are usually used the most in every kitchen. This includes three kinds of knives; the paring knife also known as the utility knife, the chef’s knife and the serrated knife. All these knives serve different purposes but are a must have for every kitchen.
If you’ve ever been to the cutlery section of the supermarket, you may have noticed how different types of constructions are mentioned on the packaging like stamped, tang or forged. Not many people know that these construction types are actually quality indicators.
Just as the name suggests, a stamped knife is produced through punching blade shapes out of a flat steel sheet. They are very cheap and very commonly found. A tang knife is produced in a similar fashion except that the blade has a tail extended within the handle. A forged knife is the best quality knife you can buy. These knives are hard to find and rather expensive.
Types of Metals
Another thing that you need to consider before making a purchase decision is the type of metal the knives are made of. The metal used in the manufacturing will determine the different properties these knives have. This includes their durability, ability to rust and stain, and the capability to hold their edge. Some of the most common metals include stainless steel, carbon steel and high carbon stainless steel.
Many supermarkets also sell ceramic knives. While they are no match for metal knives, they do have an aesthetic appeal which many find very appeasing.
Material of the Handle
One more thing to look for in knives are their handles. The handles or grips that you go for depend upon your personal preference. Wood and plastic are the most common materials but they can also be of resins and other composite elements. Before making a choice, keep in mind that not all handles are dishwasher friendly. If that is a preference, choose the handle material accordingly.
While we are mentioning it in the end, it is the first thing to contemplate about. Regardless of what we are buying, in the end it is always our willingness to spend a certain amount that influences our choice. So, choose a set that fits best in your budget and is best in the quality within it.
Top 5 Knife Sets To Buy
Now that you have an idea of what to buy, here are our top picks to make your job a little easier.
This is one of the most complete kitchen knife sets that you can buy. With 19 pieces including a chef’s knife, a serrated knife, a paring knife, a sharpener and a wooden block for easy storage, it is perfect for commercial as well as home kitchens.
All the knives are forged with German stainless steel and feel very premium. The tangs are covered with elegant looking ergonomic handles with triple rivets to lower the fatigue. Each knife looks aesthetically pleasing. The set comes with a one year unlimited warranty and an amazingly affordable price tag.
- Made with highly durable German stainless steel
- Ergonomic handles keep the fatigue levels to a minimum
- The set also includes 8 steak knives for your dinner parties
- The high quality blades rarely do dull but the set also includes a sharpener just in case
- All the knives nicely rest in a beautiful storage block
- It comes with a 1 year unlimited warranty
- All the kitchen knives included are forged with an end cap to provide extra sturdiness to their handles
This 13 knives set from Home Hero not only looks modern and stylish but also comes with an affordable price tag. For a reasonable amount, you get stainless steel built along with a storage block and an all black nonstick paint coating. Apart from all the essential knives needed in a kitchen, the set contains a peeler and a pizza slicer as well. The manufacturer also offers a 100% money back guarantee with no questions asked, in case you don’t like it.
- Professionally crafted to give you the perfect cut, always
- The set of 13 also includes six steak knives
- Nonstick paint coating ensures there’s no rusting or staining
- All the blades have an ergonomic handle to ensure easy handling
- The see-through storage block makes the set look beautiful where ever it’s placed
- In case you are not satisfied with the purchase, you get 100% money back guarantee
Aside from all the basic kitchen knives, a sharpener and kitchen scissors, it also includes a carving fork. You also get a very nostalgic looking storage block with the set. The handle on the knives is wooden and reminds of the knives you saw in your grandma’s kitchen as a kid.
A bit on the expensive side, but you get an amazing build quality and lifetime support from the manufacturer if any concerns arise.
- Beautiful nostalgic design
- Includes six steak knives
- The set includes a carving knife along with a carving fork
- High-carbon stainless steel built ensures durability and strength
- The wedge wood handles provide a perfect nonslip grip for added accuracy
- Lifetime satisfaction support from the manufacturer
- Full tang built
The only set on our list that is dishwasher friendly, this set comes from Cuisinart. All the knives are forged from stainless steel, from the tip of the blade to the butt of the handle. All the knives boost a bolster and rivets to provide a perfect grip for accurate handling. Moreover, it comes with a lifetime warranty.
- All the blades are precision-tapered into a fine edge and are extremely sharp
- You get a plastic knife block to store all the knives
- The set also includes 6 steak knives
- The bolstered and riveted design of the handle provides great accuracy
- All the blades are crafted from high carbon stainless steel
- The set comes with a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer
This may be the cheapest set on our list with the least number of knives in a set, 5 to be exact, but it is also one of the most durable ones. It comes with a knife block that has an inbuilt sharpener and marble design. It includes all the basic knives a chef could need to prepare a modern or a classic meal.
- Both the knives and the block have titanium coated surfaces and are completely scratch and corrosion resistant
- The coating also makes them stain and rust resistant
- The blades are thin and flexible so they don’t break even when cutting rarely cooked meat
- Created using the precision technology to keep the edges sharpened for longer
- The storage block also includes a knife sharpener
- The extra sharp blades are perfect for slicing even the softest of fruits like tomatoes
With a detailed buying guide and the list of our top picks, we hope you find the kitchen knife set that is perfect for your needs. For those of you who require a maximum number of knives to be displayed in their kitchen, the Master Mason Premium Knife Set is perfect. Although it is a bit on the expensive side and can leave a dent in your pocket. If you want a set that adds a pleasing appearance to your kitchen, the Home Hero or the Cuisinart knife sets would be perfect. And for budget conscious, we recommend buying the Wanbasion knife set. If you are more interested in pocket knives, we also have a list of our top picks for them which you can check out here.