Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) Therapy is a life-saving treatment for people who have obstructive sleep apnea. The therapy requires the patient to wear a mask over the nose (and sometimes mouth) at night. The mask attaches to a machine that increases air pressure in the throat and helps the patient to breathe comfortably while sleeping. Despite the need for the mask, some people dread using it, especially if they are dating. After all, that first overnight might feel much less sexy if it includes a noise-creating mask while sleeping. Check out high-quality cpap supplies at Liberty Sleep you can purchase online for an affordable price.
Dare I Don’t Sleep With My CPAP Machine
Many people consider sleeping without their CPAP machines when dating not only because they feel it is embarrassing but because they feel it is inconvenient. In reality, though, a patient can purchase a portable CPAP machine that makes it easier for him or her to sleep away from home whether due to dating or because they have a business trip or are taking a vacation.
No matter what a person does, it is vital that he or she sleeps using the prescribed CPAP machine. Without the machine, a person is likely to feel less rested, have trouble concentrating throughout the day, be more irritable, and have higher blood pressure throughout the day. Additionally, depending on the severity of the obstructive sleep apnea diagnosis, there is a risk of sudden death if a diagnosed person sleeps without the machine.
Feeling Confident Talking About Your Sleep Apnea
For many single people who are diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea, the big question is “how do I date with this thing attached to my face?” The answer is simpler than you might think. For one thing, more people than you realize use machines like the ResMed AirMini. In fact, more than 8 million people use machines to sleep at night. For another thing, most people simply don’t care. Still, it can help to have a game plan.
- Decide When To Bring It Up – You don’t want to be presumptuous and assume you are spending the night with someone but you also may not want to surprise them. Some people bring it up as early as putting it on their dating profiles. Others simply take it out during the first overnight and say “this helps me sleep.” The right time depends on when you feel comfortable.
- Use Some Humor – Don’t be afraid to make a joke about the machine. Common ones include mentioning you look like Bane or Darth Vader.
- Offer To Answer Questions – Some people have questions about sleep apnea or the masks. From basic questions to answering the difference between BiPAP and CPAP, answering questions can be helpful.
- Explain How Sleeping Works – The cords and mask can get in the way of cuddling, kisses, or other intimacy, so be clear that you’ll wait to put the mask on until your partner is ready to sleep. That way, it doesn’t affect your evening.
- Don’t Worry Too Much – Most people will never care that you wear a CPAP. On the off chance that someone rejects you for taking care of yourself, there are much better fish in the sea anyway.
Dating while wearing a CPAP device isn’t as scary as it seems. Chances are it will be a non-issue as you work on your path to taking care of yourself and to finding love at the same time.